The service is provided by the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau Service, and the funding group is led by Poppyscotland. We work closely with many organisations, both Service related and others, to provide support to the people who contact us.
We provide free, confidential, impartial information, advice and support to people who:
are currently serving in the Armed Forces, either Regular or Reserve, or a dependant of someone who is
- have served in the Armed Forces, either Regular or Reserve, or a dependant of someone who has
- are members of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations, or a dependant.
Our advice covers a range of areas, including benefits, debt, employment, relationships and housing.
Get in touch with the Armed Services Advice Project
- Call the helpline on 0808 800 1007
- Ask us to call you. You can use the Get Advice from ASAP form to send us your contact details, and a trained adviser will phone you
- Visit www.asapadvice.org.uk for more information about the service
- Visit your local bureau
- Contact your local adviser directly - their details are in the contact list in the downloads section below.
Understanding what we do
Just one example of how we have helped
Working with members of the Armed Forces community?
ASAP can help you to help other people.
We provide information advice or support to other organisations - call the helpline on 0808 800 1007
Want to find out more? Look at our e-learning module
Our e-learning module helps frontline staff in any organisation understand the issues faced by members of the Armed Forces community, and how to access the best possible support for them. Developed in conjunction with Poppyscotland, the MoD in Scotland and veteran's charities, this module provides useful information to anyone supporting members of the Armed Forces community. www.asaplearning.co.uk
CAS carefully monitors the issues raised by the people we work with.
In 2012 we published Civvy Street: The New Frontline. The report examined the advice needs of members of the Armed Forces Community, looking at whether and how they differed from those of the average citizens advice bureau client. The report found that while the advice needs of veterans did not differ considerably from those of the average client, it was the complexity and severity of these problems that marked them as different.
Supporting the Armed Forces Community in 2014 examines whether the recent trends in advice need, such as payday loans and food parcels, have affected veterans and whether their support needs have changed. Once again, it draws on interviews with veterans as well as the evidence base generated by our advisers.
You can download copies of both reports using the links below.
The project is funded by:
- ABF the Soldiers’ Charity
- The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
- Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity
- Seafarers UK
If you are a veteran aged 65 or older seeking support, or an organisation wishing to refer someone, we can support you and help you to access the services offered by each organisation.
Our partners are:
You can find out more about the contribution these partners are making to Unforgotten Forces at the Poppyscotland website.