If you are thinking about claiming Universal Credit for the first time, we can help. Our trained advisers can guide you through the process, whether you're looking for answers to quick questions or step-by-step support to make your claim.
Get in touch
You can contact our Help to Claim advisers via telephone, webchat or in person (subject to Covid-19 restrictions). We also have a self-help site.
- Telephone: Our Help to Claim helpline number is: 0800 023 2581. Please note, our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm. Calls to this number are free.
- Webchat: You can also contact us on webchat via the ‘Chat Available’ box which appears on the right side of this page when an adviser is available.
- Self-Help Site: You can find more information on claiming Universal Credit at our self-help site here.
- Get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau:
Enter your postcode to find your nearest bureau on the Citizens Advice Scotland website. Check the details of your bureau to find out if they give advice in person, by phone, email or webchat.
What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is a government benefit payment designed to help with living costs. It's paid monthly (or twice a month for some people in Scotland), and it can be paid to people on a low income or who are out of work.
Universal Credit replaces: Housing Benefit; income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA); income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA); Child Tax Credit; Working Tax Credit; and Income Support. There are several stages involved in claiming Universal Credit, and usually it must be claimed online.
How we can help
Claiming Universal Credit can involve several stages, and we're here to make them easier for you. We can help with:
- Quick questions - answering queries as you make your own claim
- Support to submit your claim - setting up email and bank accounts if needed, and working through claim ‘to-dos’
- Support to first payment - helping you apply for additional financial support and prepare for work coach appointments
- Evidence checking - making sure all your claim evidence is correct