If you are thinking about claiming Universal Credit for the first time, we can help. Our trained advisers can guide you through the process, whether you're looking for answers to quick questions or step-by-step support to make your claim.
How we can help
Claiming Universal Credit can involve several stages, and we're here to make them easier for you. We can help with:
- Quick questions - answering queries as you make your own claim
- Internet access - giving you internet to help make your claim
- Support to submit your claim - setting up email and bank accounts if needed, and working through claim ‘to-dos’
- Support to first payment - helping you apply for additional financial support and prepare for work coach appointments
- Evidence checking - making sure all your claim evidence is correct
Get in touch
If you are considering claiming Universal Credit for the first time, please do get in touch:
Please note, the webchat box will appear at the right-hand side when an adviser is available.
Our helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm.
What is Universal Credit?
Universal Credit is a government benefit payment designed to help with living costs. It's paid monthly (or twice a month for some people in Scotland), and it can be paid to people on a low income or who are out of work.
Universal Credit is being introduced across the UK in stages, and replaces: Housing Benefit; income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA); income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA); Child Tax Credit; Working Tax Credit; and Income Support. There are several stages involved in claiming Universal Credit, and it must be claimed online.