You are here

Stressed About Debt?

If you are feeling worried about debt or falling behind on bills, you are not alone. High costs of energy, food and fuel mean that many people are finding it impossible to keep up. But the Citizens Advice network in Scotland is here for you, with free, confidential and impartial advice in a variety of ways. See below for different ways you can get advice and support.

Get help online

Check our online advice pages around help with debt from our public advice site.

Feeling lost about money? Our Money Map tool directs you to online help finding ways to make the most of your money, decrease your bills and help meet the costs of daily living.

Our Council Tax tool tells you quickly if you’re entitled to a discount, reduction or exemption on your Council Tax bills. 

Specialist services

The Money Talk Team at your local Citizens Advice Bureau helps you maximise your income, look at options to reduce costs and offers specialist debt advice. To find out more, start a web chat here.

If you are thinking about claiming Universal Credit for the first time, we can help. Our Help to Claim advisers are available by webchat or telephone (0800 023 2581, Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm) and can guide you through the process, whether you're looking for answers to quick questions or step-by-step support to make your claim.

Debt and mental health

If you are struggling with your mental health, you're not alone. There are many services and organisations that have online or phone options as first steps, including these from SAMH.

Find your local CAB 

Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau to get free, confidential and impartial advice. An adviser will be able to talk through your situation and work out the next steps. Find your local bureau and get in touch today.