Citizens Advice Scotland welcomed the opportunity to respond to this consultation concerning competition and transparency in the provision of funerals and crematoria market power.
This response made the following points:
- The funeral industry is unregulated at present
- It is important, if something goes wrong, for consumers to have a clear and straightforward way in which to make a complaint against a funeral director
- CAS recommended a standardisation of language and terms used across the industry to allow consumers to compare the costs of different funeral directors
- CAS advocated for transparency within the funeral market
- CAS reported on increases to cremation charges since 2017